Hampton Hotels Announces Brand's First LEED® Certified Hotel Hampton Inn and Suites Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport achieved LEED® Silver certification, as recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council
BigTravelNews.info - Jul 24,2010 - Hampton Hotels (http://www.hampton.com/), the international brand of nearly 1,800 mid-priced Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, and Hampton by Hilton Hotels, has announced that the Hampton Inn and Suites Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport (http://www.hamptoninnsrq.com/) achieved LEED® Silver certification, as recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). It is the first Hampton Hotel property to earn this recognition for sustainable building design, construction and operations.
"This is a wonderful accomplishment for Hampton Hotels, and we are proud to add the Hampton Inn & Suites Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport with LEED Silver certification to our Hampton family," said Phil Cordell, Global Head, Focused Service and Hampton Brand. "This achievement emphasizes our commitment to sustainability and drives us to continue creating strategies to help our hotels operate efficiently."
The Hampton Inn & Suites Sarasota/Bradenton Airport received its LEED Silver certification on May 27, 2010. The hotel incorporated a variety of sustainable design strategies to achieve the certification, including categories in energy use, lighting, water and material use. LEED certified buildings save money and energy, LEED certified hotel.jpgdecrease CO2 emissions, improve water efficiency and indoor environmental quality for hotel guests, employees and the community. Guests can even see firsthandhow energy is being saved at the hotel by viewing the variables on a monitor in the lobby.
"With each new LEED-certified building, we get one step closer to USGBC's vision of a sustainably built environment within a generation," said Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, U.S. Green Building Council. "As the newest member of the LEED family of green buildings, the Hampton Inn and Suites Sarasota/Bradenton Airport is an important addition to the growing strength of the green building movement."
The Hampton Inn and Suites Sarasota/Bradenton Airport was developed and constructed by Sarasota-based Finergy Development and Firmo Construction. Gaining LEED certification for this hotel was based on a variety of design and construction elements that produce a positive impact on the community and building itself. These include:
* A solar water heating system that will generate 1.7 million kBTUs per year.
* Water saving fixtures that will reduce water usage by a third.
* Zero CFC based refrigerants in the Air Conditioning System.
* More than 40 percent of the products utilized during construction were purchased, assembled and manufactured within 500 miles of the site, limiting the transportation impact while improving the local economy.
* During construction, 92.1 percent of all construction waste and 22.8 percent of the construction products used were recycled.
* The hotel efficient insulation system, glazing, roof, hot water production, air conditioning, heating and lighting equipment allows it to reduce its annual energy usage by at least 27.1 percent compared to a hotel built to standard building code.
* The hotel purchased 572,000kWh worth of Tradable Renewable Energy Certificate. This amounts to 70 percent of the building energy usage over a two-year period. The goal is to reduce the carbon footprint of the hotel with the purchase of wind powered energy certificates.
* The hotel facility is 100% non-smoking.